Monday 31 October 2011

...November

          Okay, so I lied, it has been a while since my last post, but I have good reason for it... we're still in Brisbane. After the Caboolture debacle I really needed to find some work, and after a little while of assessing our options I had a brilliant idea- where can you make great money for nearly no effort? Drug trials.
           Before you get all sanctimonious and tell me tell me that this is an awful idea let me elaborate. When I was a bum, I meant student, in 2009 or so I was in need of some extra money and a friend suggested these experimental drug trials. I remember immediately thinking of Barney growing new ears out of his stomach in a Simpson's sketch, so that mixed with my debilitating fear of needles meant that I was a bit apprehensive at first. My fear of starving overcame my fear of needles though so I did the trial and found out that it was... amazing. Why had no-one told me about this wonderful place where you hang out with your friends, watch movies, play computer games, or board games, or the guitar, while having catered meals and getting paid thousands of dollars for it?
          After my first trial, for a new type of antibiotic, my fear of needles was well and truly conquered and three more drug trials followed (one for a flu vaccine, one for spray-on morphine and the other for something else I can't remember [probably for memory, which obviously didn't work]). Anyway, the reason that we're still in Brisbane is because the drug trial that I'm in at the moment is lasting for a month and a bit and I'm needed for constant check-ups so I can't skip town.
          I don't mind so much about staying in one place for a little while though, it gives us time to practice hobbies. Back in the last few weeks of being in Adelaide I became really inspired to learn how to use a bow, specifically a compound bow. I found out that the hunting laws in Australia differ from state to state, but are pretty relaxed when it comes to bows, and the thought of being able to fish for food around the coast, and bow-hunt for rabbits or game inland appealed to my inner Bear Grills (and don't pretend like I'm the only one!). Jess was really keen too but mostly because she wants her life to be more like a Robin Hobb book. So, when we arrived to Brisbane we went to an archery store, had some bows fitted and have been firing them at a make-shift target in the back yard ever since (Jess is much better than I am by the way (Remind me not to get cheeky within a hundred yards). We haven't taken them hunting yet. That should be interesting if and when it actually happens because Jess is more likely to hit something but is flat out refusing to prepare whatever she catches, and after seeing what she can do with a bow I'm not one to argue with her. Maybe hunting isn't the best idea. Can you skeet shoot with a bow and arrow?
          We've also been playing a lot of music. Jess and I have both been playing music for a few years, her with piano and voice, and me with guitar and voice, so we decided to learn some covers for some extra money. We even have a stage name worked out-
                                       Tim and Jess and the Whole Damn Universe
Blue will be mad that he's not involved, but he can't complain until he can rev out a decent tune. I should also mention Blue is very shitty at us. Apart from the occasional day trip up the coast to climb a mountain, or go to a beach, he's been sitting under the same tree the whole time. I'm missing being on the road too but we'll be doing more of that in a fortnight. For now though I'm off. I'll update again soon... probably.



This was the room that we walked into at Caboolture.


After a few week's practice.
First day with my bow.





Going on a boaty picnic for my birthday at Bribie Island.



 
Open mic Jam at Alloneword in the Valley.
Cocktails, cards and Jazz. This is my heaven.


   

No comments:

Post a Comment